[Korea Beyond Korea] Berlin, Europe's Korean Studies hub, nurtures next
简介BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered ...
BERLIN -- Right before the winter semester was about to start in Germany, some 10 students gathered in a classroom in southwestern Berlin in September.
The students, all top Korean Studies majors from across Europe, were selected by the Institute of Korean Studies at the Free University of Berlin to partake in the annual Korean Competence Week.
The weeklong workshop was created to foster the region’s next generation of Korean experts, which is an area that lacks greatly in numbers, according to Professor Lee Eun-jeung, director of the FUB’s Graduate School of East Asian Studies.
In recent years, Berlin has developed into a hub for Korean Studies in Europe. Today, the capital of Germany is home to one of the most prestigious Korean Studies programs in the world and is also a centerpiece to Korea’s endeavor to foster a deeper understanding of the country’s culture worldwide.
Next generation of Korean experts
The students attending competence week sat in on a round table discussion, listening carefully to the senior adviser at Center for Humanitarian Dialogue, a Switzerland-based organization dedicated to resolving armed conflicts around the world. The lesson of the day was about Sweden’s role in promoting the peace process on the Korean Peninsula.
The students were expected to share their thoughts in a follow-up discussion session.
“Our ultimate goal is to foster Korean experts, so they could work in Europe’s public sectors and global organizations or become envoys to Korea,” Lee said in an interview with The Korea Herald on Sept. 28 in Berlin.
Lee explained that most European diplomats or envoys to Korea in both the past and the present majored in Chinese or Japanese Studies, making them experts on those countries, but not experts on Korea.
“We’re trying to change that,” she said.
To become experts, students are required to dive into the rigorous process of earning both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in Korean Studies and sometimes pursue a doctorate.
"Passing Through Winter" (a literal translation of the Korean title)By Cho Hae-jinJakka PublishingAu ...
윤희숙 전 국민의힘 의원. 중앙포토송영길 전 더불어민주당 대표가 ‘한동훈 법무부 장관은 나보다 10살 어린데 타워팰리스에 산다’고 발언한 것과 관련해 윤희숙 전 국민의힘 의원은 “ ...
KB Financial Group’s shareholders approved of Vice Chairman Yang Jong-hee's appointment as the ...
- [New in Korean] Tribute to mothers, daughters in 'Passing Through Winter'
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- Woman faces prosecution after demanding marriage from V
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- ASEAN filmmakers' works to be screened in Busan
- KB approves of Yang Jong
Ateez closes 1st chapter of career with 'The World Ep. Fin: Will’
Woman faces prosecution after demanding marriage from V
KB approves of Yang Jong
S. Korea secures 5th consecutive term on UNESCO executive board
Former divas return as Golden Girls
Network error grinds government network to halt, restoration still in progress
- HiteJinro soju seeks bigger footing in UK
- Seoul shares close more than 1% higher on extended Israel
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- Seoul shares start lower ahead of key rate decision
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
- S. Korea's English proficiency slips 13 notches to 49th
- School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- S. Korea, US and Japan to conduct joint aerial exercise for 1st time: source
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- Opposition leader away in court with critics calling for his departure from party
- [사진] 수도권 상공 출격한 미군 B
- [Today’s K
- US toughens rules on exports of advanced computing chips to China
- “이게 KF
- [Herald Interview] Chile, Korea need to boost global lithium value chain: minister
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- [Herald Interview] Director Lee Chung
- 유승민 “안철수·이준석, 초상집서 상주끼리 그만 싸워라”
- S. Korean kidnapped in Philippines freed
- S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
- Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
- [Korea Beyond Korea] In Paris, soaring demand for Korean studies yet to be fully met
- Seoul shares up nearly 1 pct on eased concerns over Middle East conflict
- Ruling party to launch innovation committee after crushing by
- 김성원 여의도연구원장 "공천장사 지라시, 허위사실 유포로 고소"
- Omega X to return with 3rd EP ‘iykyk’ next month
- S. Korea, Latin America to discuss ways to boost trade, ICT cooperation