Opposition leader returns to party duties, calls for Cabinet overhaul
简介Main opposition leader Lee Jae-myung officially resumed his party duties Monday and once again calle ...
Main opposition leader Lee Jae-myung officially resumed his party duties Monday and once again called on President Yoon Suk Yeol to conduct a complete overhaul of the Cabinet.
Lee, the chairman of the Democratic Party, made the remarks while attending a party meeting after several weeks of hospital treatment to recover from his 24-day hunger strike, protesting what he described as a slew of government policy failures.
"President Yoon Suk Yeol should thoroughly revamp the way he handles government affairs," Lee said, adding that all Cabinet members should resign for their "incompetence and violent behavior."
Lee also emphasized the Democratic Party's role in addressing the people's livelihoods and pledged victory in the upcoming parliamentary elections in April.
The Democratic Party leader had been absent from his duties since being transferred to a hospital on Sept. 18 when his health deteriorated due to his extended hunger strike. He left the hospital earlier this month and has been recovering at home.
Despite winning a crucial by-election in Seoul, the leader reiterated his call for unity.
Last month, the Democratic Party-controlled National Assembly voted to lift Lee's immunity from arrest, revealing unexpected divisions within the party between lawmakers aligned with Lee and those who are not.
"I hope there will be no further debate regarding the handling of the arrest motion," Lee said, emphasizing that the people's livelihoods should be the top priority.
Lee is currently facing trials for three separate charges, including alleged election law violations during his unsuccessful presidential bid in 2022 and two corruption charges related to property development projects during his term as Seongnam mayor. (Yonhap)
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- In bustling Indonesia, with its youthful population, one might assume that dig ...
Hospitals will be required to install surveillance cameras in operating rooms and record surgery pro ...
Mudeungsan Mountain located in Gwangju, South Jeolla Province, fully opened its door to the public f ...
- 尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
[Hello Indonesia] Digital innovation for financial inclusivity
Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
Koreans prefer cash in Chuseok gifting for parents
Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
[Global Finance Awards] Shinhan chief makes big ESG push
[New in Korean] Ancient Korean mummy unearthed in Irish peatland
- SK hynix wins 2023 R&D 100 Awards
- S. Korea secures 5th consecutive term on UNESCO executive board
- Negotiating members of Indo
- Netflix’s ‘Single’s Inferno’ to return with season 3 in December
- Negotiating members of Indo
- S. Korea, US explore ways to expand ties in energy, supply chains
- [New in Korean] Seven minds share single body in '7
- 'Fuerza Bruta Wayra' returns to Seoul
- Dancers say Street Woman Fighter 2 made dance more approachable
- SM to launch boy group in the UK
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- 'Basel Night' at Swiss Embassy in Seoul heralds Basel's cultural legacy
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- 야당, 김행 사퇴에 “사필귀정…사법적 판단 받아야”
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- Striving to be the best, TXT returns with 3rd LP
- [Today’s K
- [Photo News] 2023 Sea Art Festival returns to Busan's Ilgwang Beach
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides