Korean Air to retain Asiana workers after takeover: sources
简介Korean Air Co. has decided to retain workers of Asiana Airlines Inc. on condition that Asiana agrees ...
Korean Air Co. has decided to retain workers of Asiana Airlines Inc. on condition that Asiana agrees to sell its cargo business to win antitrust approval from European Union regulators for the two carriers' merger, industry sources said Monday.
According to the sources, Korean Air, the larger of South Korea's two full-service airlines, plans to seek approval for the decision to retain Asiana Airlines' workers at a company board meeting scheduled next Monday.
The decision comes as Asiana Airlines, the smaller of the duo, is also set to hold its own board meeting on the same day to decide whether to sell its cargo business.
The EU antitrust regulators have raised concerns that Korean Air's acquisition of Asiana may restrict competition in the markets for passenger and cargo air transport services between the EU and South Korea.
Unionized workers at Asiana Airlines have expressed opposition to such a move to sell off the cargo division, citing concerns of possible layoffs.
Korean Air plans to submit formal remedies to address such concerns to the European Commission, the EU's executive body, by the end of the month.
The two companies' board meetings are expected to be watched closely by stakeholders and EU regulators, as it could potentially make or break the acquisition deal that has been pursued for the past three years.
An EC official involved with the review of the acquisition deal declined to comment on inquiries from Yonhap News Agency, saying "this is an ongoing investigation."
Korean Air has received acquisition approvals from 11 countries, including Britain, Australia, Singapore, Vietnam, Turkey and China, and is awaiting decisions from Japan, the EU and the US.
Shinhan Financial Group's efforts to make a sustainable financial ecosystem have gained global ...
K-pop boy band Enhypen is scheduled to perform on MBC’s “Show! Music Core” for the first time since ...
Korean tourists' total spending on overseas group tours posted the sharpest increase last month ...
- CHA to expand assistance for buried cultural heritage excavation
- Seoul proposes safety measures to prevent poor construction
- [Hello Hangeul] Americans seeking to visit Korea learn the language in LA
- Samsung C&T gears for 2023 Smart City Expo World Congress
- National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
- 대통령실, 범정부 기술유출 합동대응단 출범
Merger of Korean OTT platforms Tving and Wavve imminent: sources
Seoul shares open lower after record daily gain
Child hurt after angry dad pushes the swing too hard
Seoul offers 10,000 sets of portable SOS emergency bell ‘Zikimi’
Insurance firms' net income jumps over 47% on
Cold wave hit S. Korea amid forecast of even chillier morning
- Daewoo E&C chief cements ties with Nigerian leaders
- Prosecutors seek 30
- Suneung might not see perfect scorer for first time in 13 years
- Democratic Party banners targeting young voters stir controversy
- Cemeteries, columbariums reinvent themselves as sanctuaries for the living
- King Charles welcomes South Korea's president with state banquet, mingles with K
- More relevant than ever, closer to original musical 'Rent' returns for 9th run
- Priciest elite private high school costs over W30m a year
- Korean ramen exports hit record high amid global K
- 김기현 “한동훈 자질, 대한민국 위해 잘 발휘될 수 있게 할 것”
- Posco to start search for new chief
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- N. Korea reinstates DMZ guard posts
- American investigated for ‘teeth grinding’ graffiti across Yongsan
- S. Korea, AIIB discuss stronger partnership, new investment chances
- Korea to start hiring E
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”
- Gangnam teen investigated for assaulting deliveryman with golf club
- Jeju Island offers many choices for holidaymakers with pets
- Speculation grows over Yoon's looming Cabinet shakeup
- Trailblazer, Trax drive up GM Korea’s exports
- 홍준표, 하태경 종로 출마 선언에…"주사파 출신이 갈 곳 아니다"
- KB chief vows to nurture AI talents
- '12.12: The Day’ attracts 1.8m moviegoers in five days since opening
- [Hello Hangeul] Welding book first in vocational Korean series for foreign labor
- [Herald Review] Korean and Welsh dance companies share creativity in 'Wales Connection'
- 류호정·장혜영의 ‘세번째권력’ “총선서 30석, 200만 득표가 목표”
- [Bills in Focus] Windfall tax on banks and urban infra refurbishment