'The Boys' director says blending fact, fiction necessary to deliver message
简介Adding a completely new character to "The Boys" was necessary to make the based-on-a-true-story film ...
Adding a completely new character to "The Boys" was necessary to make the based-on-a-true-story film more compelling, director Chung Ji-young said Monday.
"Some people call me the Ken Loach of South Korea. But I create more dramatic devices than (he does) to share my story with a wider audience," Chung said at a press conference in Seoul. He referred to British director Ken Loach, who is famous for making films based on true events.
"The Boys" revisits a 1999 case in which three teenage boys were wrongfully convicted of robbery and murder in forced confessions.
The director made up the lead character, Hwang Jun-cheol, a newly appointed police investigative chief who tries to get justice for the boys.
"When I borrow a real-life story in my movie, I tend to use dramatic devices. But I leave the core story intact and don't distort what happened," the director said, adding that the fictional part was aimed at making the story more gripping and interesting.
In 2016, the three boys were exonerated of their robbery and murder charges through a retrial.
The director said he was compelled to make a film about the case, after witnessing no one was held accountable for the wrongful convictions that led to the imprisonment of the innocent boys.
"Powerful people pick on the weak when most people, who see themselves on the side of the weak, choose to stay silent" and do nothing about it, the director said.
"I wanted to reflect upon how our society views the weak," he said, adding he hoped his audience would "reflect upon themselves whether they chose to remain indifferent and silent to the boys' misfortune as if looking on a fire across a river."
Since his directorial debut in 1982, Chung has made a number of films based on true events, including the courtroom drama "Unbowed" (2011) and the white collar crime film "Black Money" (2019).
His filmography, he said, demonstrates his "struggle to stay positive" and "to find hope" amid many tragic events that left many people, including himself, feeling a sense of helplessness and frustration.
"For me, making films is like checking on where we are now and how we have lived, and finding the right coordinates. That is my mission," Chung said.
The film is set to be released on Nov. 1.
이동관 방송통신위원회 위원장이 1일 오전 서울 종로구 정부서울청사에서 열린 임시 국무회의에 참석해 한덕수 국무총리의 국회 탄핵안 발의 관련 발언을 듣고 있다. 연합뉴스윤석열 대 ...
27일 국회 의원회관에서 열린 정치유니온 '세 번째 권력' 비전 발표회에서 참석자들이 기념촬영을 하고 있다. 왼쪽부터 당신과함께 정태근 대표, 한국의희망 양향자 대표, 조성주 ...
If you visit Jeju Island, popular tourist spots, well-known landmarks, Instagrammable cafes and rest ...
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- [Herald Interview] Nam Woo
- S. Korea pushes for using commercial satellites in military communication
- Jeju Island offers many choices for holidaymakers with pets
- [Global Finance Awards] Shinhan chief makes big ESG push
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
[New in Korean] Tribute to mothers, daughters in 'Passing Through Winter'
1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
Korea to start hiring E
尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
[Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- Artifacts with inaccurate information removed from Korean exhibition in Germany
- [속보] 한국인 163명 이스라엘서 무사히 왔다…서울공항 도착
- STX issues new shares worth W80b to expand global business
- Geopolitical risks hold back South Korea's credit rating upgrade:Fitch
- Asiana to hold board meeting to discuss sale of cargo unit
- PPP appoints naturalized Korean doctor Yohan Ihn as party innovation committee chief
- GS Group, SNU to run incubator program for startups
- Celltrion merger plan approved by shareholders
- China’s export curbs on graphite may raise battery prices for EVs
- 'Seventeenth Heaven' logs record
- Drugs smuggled in through Incheon Airport surge since pandemic: lawmaker
- Samsung, Hyundai ink first EV battery deal
- Lotte aquarium, activists battle over release of beluga whale
- 尹 대통령, 사우디 국방장관 만나 “국방·방산 협력 심화”
- N. Korea blames US for instigating Israel
- S. Korea formally accepts WTO deal on fisheries subsidies
- Opposition leader returns to party duties, calls for Cabinet overhaul
- [KH Explains] Samsung
- S. Korea to hold remembrance ceremony for independence fighter at center of ideological dispute
- AmCham delegation to visit Washington this week
- Fifty Fifty’s agency terminates contract with 3 of 4 group members
- Gender ministry to discipline 123 parents for not paying child support
- Eugene Group wins bid to acquire news channel YTN
- Chinese restaurant ‘threatened’ by peers for free delivery
- 병역거부 대체복무자 첫 소집해제…1173명 전국 교정시설에
- Genesis BBQ opens 11th store in Vietnam
- 'The Boys' director says blending fact, fiction necessary to deliver message
- Korean Air to retain Asiana workers after takeover: sources
- Seoul shares open higher as US Treasury yields slide
- 軍 "北, 하마스식 대남공격 가능성"…증거로 나온 '방