Back to square one on return of Goryeo relics from Boston museum
简介The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, once again agreed to return only the sarira from the 13th century s ...
The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, once again agreed to return only the sarira from the 13th century silver-gilt Lamaistic pagoda-shaped sarira reliquary to Korea, according to Hyemun, a former Buddhist monk and the leader of a non-profit civic group dedicated to repatriating cultural heritage, Wednesday.
The decision comes more than a decade after previous talks fell through, after the same offer was made in 2009.
The civic group announced Wednesday that it had met with Julia McCarthy, interim head of collections management, and Christina Yu Yu, chief of curatorial affairs and conservation, to discuss the return of the sarira to Korea on Tuesday. The museum agreed to the request under the condition that the Korean government approves, according to the group.
Hyemun said the return of the sarira is now contingent on the Korean government's final decision, as the museum has committed to proceeding once the two sides reach a consensus.
The meeting lasted approximately an hour, during which Hyemun had the opportunity to view the artifact, which was brought out from the exhibition for the meeting.
"While the reliquary is significant as a cultural heritage, the sarira is a religious and sacred object," Hyemun told The Korea Herald on Wednesday after the meeting with the museum."This (the sarira) is of great importance to the Buddhist community, whether or not the complete piece is more significant as a cultural heritage artifact," he said.
In the vast landscape of YouTube, where content creators rise and fall, Dave Levene Jr. stands out a ...
A Seoul court issued a warrant Friday to arrest the former fiance of Olympic fencing medalist Nam Hy ...
More than 76 percent of cattle in South Korea have been vaccinated against lumpy skin disease (LSD), ...
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- LG CNS, NYC, AmCham Korea forge partnerships on digital transformation
- Yoon says fake news threatens freedom, elections at AI Safety Summit
- Unification ministry plans to hold talks with UN Command to resume Panmunjom tour
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate pause hopes
- N. Korea diversifying cybercrimes amid drop in value of cryptocurrency: report
Hana Bank to offer W100b in support for small business owners
S. Korea vaccinates over 76% of cattle against lumpy skin disease
Catch fleeting fall foliage with exciting outdoor activities
Minho of SHINee to hold first solo fan concert in January
S. Korea thanks countries near Gaza for assisting in evacuation of S. Korean family
- BNK Busan Bank to pilot English
- [Up close in Yeouido] Spy
- N. Korea tests newly developed solid
- Seoul shares open higher on Wall Street gains
- [KH explains] Chinese battery makers gobbling up Korean rivals’ European market share
- Prix Medicis winning Han Kang wants next novel to be like 'spring'
- FNC's new boy group Ampers&One debuts with energetic, youthful single
- UN committee adopts resolution on N. Korean human rights for 19th straight year
- Yoon set to depart for San Francisco to attend APEC summit
- [Herald Interview] Korean team wins James Dyson Award with ‘hands
- [Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
- Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
- 4th Global Biz Forum kicks off to discuss 'next prosperity'
- [Herald Interview] Song Joong
- LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
- [Herald Interview] As a wanderer, Yoshitomo Nara does not confine himself to art
- [KH Explains] Lotte goes all
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed's higher
- [Today’s K
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- SM founder Lee Soo
- Kakao completes its first own data center
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- Unification minister to visit Britain, Germany
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- 카메라 찍힌 김여정 960만원 '디올 백'…그 자체가 北인권 참상
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- Will Kep1er disband? Project group eyes extension with 'Magic Hour'
- Jakarta lights up in pink with SMTown Live 2023